Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Vintage-chic baby shower

I love party planning and anything else that I can put my hoarded goodies to use! I jumped on the opportunity to help with my sister-in-law's baby shower. My mother-in-law was a trooper and didn't mind when we had to rearrange her furniture just for my crazy decor ideas! 
 Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE frugality?! I seriously hoard and try to DIY e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. My husband goes bananas, but has accepted my crazy antics over the years. The majority of the decor I had stashed in random places throughout the house. 



It all started with these cute invitations I ordered from "Rachelle's Printables" on Etsy. She sent the proofs the following day and was a pleasure to work with. Talk about a quick turnaround?! She has a lot of great "printables" to choose from! I printed all of the pdf's from Office Depot and bought 5x7 white envelopes from Office Depot to mail the invitations. (Click on the photos to be directed to that printable in the Etsy store).


Shower games:

#1


I spray painted small clothespins with baby pink and gold glitter spray paint. 

#2


Gift for the shower games : 
Both winners won a "baby bottle" with Essie  nail polish (pink color of course), base coat, top coat, and manicure tools. 

(This idea was inspired by CatchMyParty)

I bought "Ball" quart size mason jars with regular mouth openings. I removed the seal and pulled a wide neck nipple (Well Beginnings Fast Flow Wide Neck Silicone Nipples from Walgreen's) through the ring and screwed on. 

For decor we used mason jars, pale pink roses and baby's breath.


A cradle was used to hold gifts with a chalkboard sign on front. I wrote "gifts" with a chalk marker (from Hobby Lobby). The chalkboard came from Kirkland's.


I made the banner (tutorial here) to hang on this old window I found in my barn. I'm almost positive none of the shower guests developed lead poisoning from the old paint on this window (ha! only kidding). I tried my best to knock off the flaking paint so it didn't become a "topping" on the petit fours. I had to re-caulk many of the panes to keep them from falling out as most of the old caulk has crumbled away. Lead poisoning aside, I think it turned out perfectly "vintage chic."


The napkins were ordered from Tiny Prints (style is Printed Roses). I thought they would be white (as pictured) but they were pink with darker pink writing (you can see them on the table). I think they ended up being cute nonetheless.




Thanks to my mom, we had beautiful pink depression glass and milk glass to display all of our treats! Yes, I got a "talkin to" about how careful I better be with her heirlooms. I was as nervous as a junebug in a henhouse that I would break something. Thankfully, all pieces were returned in the condition in which I received them. Whew...

The log slices were purchased at Hobby Lobby. The chalkboard one was painted with Rustoleum's Chalkboard Paint® and written on with a chalk marker with a sweet and powerful Bible verse. 


I used antique boxes to create height to our display.


 The cake stand was purchased at Hobby Lobby. A friend of mine gave me the chandelier crystals that I thought would be a nice touch to the cake stand. The "T", "K", and "M" gold letters are also from Hobby Lobby. 


Our menu:
petit fours (Rolen's Bakery in Dothan)
white chocolate (with pink food coloring) dipped pretzel sticks with edible gold glitter and sprinkles
quiche 
grape salad (made by Mom)
pink chocolate drizzled Oreo balls

Since we are on the subject of Oreo balls... Can I just say that I had this cute idea for pink chocolate covered Oreo's on a stick? Like so:


HA! This was what we call a Pinterest FAIL. I carefully separated the cookies, laid the stick, closed the cookies, and they broke...like every one I tried! My mother-in-law and I had a brainstorm and decided to do pink chocolate dipped Oreo balls on a stick. I crushed the Oreos and tried to make a ball thinking the Oreo icing would be enough to make them stick. It didn't. My mother-in-law had half a block of cream cheese that we mixed in to give it some stickiness. We made balls and tried dipping into the melted chocolate. The stick pulled out and the ball fell apart...fail again! So that is what led us to our final product: stickless, Oreo Balls with pink chocolate drizzle and gold glitter sprinkles. I must say, they were quite delicious and were very complimented. If only they knew how it all began!! But shhh, they never have to know ;)

 I got my paper straws from Pop Up Parties Shop on Etsy. 


 We served pink lemonade rather than punch in mason jars. 


We had fun hosting this shower, and I hope you took away some ideas for your next "vintage chic" party!


No comments:

Post a Comment